How to Join the Cotillion Club for the 2018 - 2019 Season
What do I need to know if I am a potential new member?
- The process for nomination to become a new member in Cotillion for the 2018-2019 Season has begun effective February 1st, 2018.
- Newly proposed members need to be nominated by a current or previous Cotillion Board member before April 1st 2018. Only adults who have served as members of our board for at least two years are eligible to sponsor a prospective member. You may find the list of all Board members – past and present - via this link. If you are not familiar with anyone on the Board of Directors list, feel free to contact the Vice President of Membership for help.
- Proposed members must be in their 7th grade academic year (or higher) of school.
- Proposed members must meet residency or school requirements. In order to be a member of the Cotillion Club of Sarasota, children must be in the 8th grade or higher, obtain a sponsor, reside or attend school in Sarasota County, and attend new member orientation before their first season.
- Potential members should be aware that the new membership nomination cycle is open now as of February 1st and closes April 1st 2018.
- Invitations to qualified current Members are mailed May 1st, 2018 and to qualified potential new members May 15th, 2018. It is important that should you wish to join Cotillion, you follow the specified directions carefully and in a timely fashion.
- Before committing to joining, it is very important that you review the expectations for behavior, dress and attendance to which we hold our members. These expectations may be different and more stringent than those which you may already have experienced. Click here to review the Cotillion Member Rules
- All new members and at least one parent are required to attend New Member Orientation which will be held on Sunday, August 19th, 2018. The date for this mandatory orientation will be in the invitations to join Cotillion. This orientation is mandatory for Membership with Sarasota Cotillion.
- Check list for those interested in joining The Cotillion Club of Sarasota.
- Due to occupancy limitations of the venues used for our dances, membership openings are limited. Qualified invitees will be accepted in the order in which their completed applications are received.
- If the maximum membership for your Cotillion grade group has been met, you will be placed on a wait list. Should openings be created by resignations or declinations, those on the wait list will be invited to fill those opening in the order in which their completed application was received.
What do I need to know if I am already a Member and want to join again for the upcoming year?
- If you are a Member of Cotillion of Sarasota from the previous year and are in good standing, you will automatically be sent an invitation to renew your membership on May 1st, 2018.
- As a courtesy for being a Member in good standing, you will receive a two-week grace period ahead of potential new members to commit to joining. Should you choose not renew during that two-week grace period, you will lose your preferred standing and be processed with the new members’ applications based on the order in which they are received.
- *If you believe you are in good standing but do not receive an invitation by May 10th, to renew your membership and wish to do so, please contact the Vice President of Membership.
- While returning Members receive your invitation 2 weeks before proposed new members, timeliness of processing your acceptance of the invitation will be critical. Proposed new members invitations will be mailed on May 15th, 2018. If the maximum membership for your Cotillion grade group has been met, you will be placed on a wait list. Should openings be created by resignations or declinations, those on the wait list will be invited to fill those opening in the order in which their completed application was received.
A Special Note to Parents of Existing or Previous Members:
- Siblings of existing or previous members are not automatically sent an invitation to join Cotillion of Sarasota. Siblings must obtain their own Board sponsor and go through the new member sponsorship process the same as all other potential new members.
- If you want to confirm your child’s name on the invitation list for the upcoming season, you are welcome to contact the Vice President of Membership.
- We strongly encourage parents of returning members to review the Cotillion Member Rules. We strive to have every dance go smoothly. You and your child being freshly aware of our expectations will help us all enjoy the Cotillion season maximally.
- We also encourage you to re-acquaint yourself with our website and current procedures. As our organization grows and evolves, efficacious and practical concerns may cause us to adapt some existing policies and procedures as well as adopt new ones. The Cotillion Club of Sarasota is committed to carefully meeting the changing needs of the families in our community in a modern world while holding true to the mission of Cotillion. This may necessitate changes. Staying up to date on the policies and procedures that may affect you can help avoid confusion and potential misunderstandings.
Review the eligibility requirements to become a member.
In order to be a member of the Cotillion Club of Sarasota, children must be in the 8th grade or higher, obtain a sponsor, reside or attend school in Sarasota County, and attend new member orientation before their first season.
- Contact a current or previous member of The Cotillion Board of Directors to verify or arrange for sponsorship. If no Board members are known to you, please contact the Vice President of Membership. This same link can be used to verify that your name is on the list of those being sent invitations for the upcoming Cotillion season.
- Await your invitation and when received, reply in a timely and correct fashion.
- Await confirmation or your acceptance or addition to the waiting list for the group in which you are eligible.
- Reply with your acceptance or declination in a timely fashion. *Please remember, if you’ve changed your mind or can’t accept membership due to changed circumstance. Please let the Vice President of Membership know as soon as possible. There are likely others on the waiting list to whom we’d like to make your spot available.
- Will attend mandatory new member orientation, with at least one parent, on Sunday, August 19th, 2018.
The timeline for upcoming 2018-2019 season is as follows:
February 1 – April 1, 2018: Nominations are accepted for all group divisions. Only the applications of children who have reached the 7th academic grade or higher will be accepted. Younger children need to wait until their 7th academic year.
May 1 2018: Invitations to eligible current Members in good standing, and with no open infractions, will be mailed.
May 15, 2018: Invitations to potential eligible new members will be mailed.
August 2, 2018: Deadline for all applications to be completed and submitted. Note: applications for returning and new members are accepted in order of the date of application completion and payment submission. Once a class group fills up to the maximum number, all additional applicants will be put on a wait list. Therefore, timely submissions are highly recommended. Registration will officially be closed August 2nd, 2018.'
August 19, 2018: New Member Orientation for 2018-2019 Season Cotillion Members.